UNIGE document Preprint
previous document  unige:96946  next document
add to browser collection
Title

La datation du choeur de l'église de Vaucelles reproduit en plan par Villard de Honnecourt

Author
Submitted to Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte. 2017
Abstract The destroyed Cistercian church of Vaucelles is known only by a few fragments preserved and a plan of the choir reproduced by Villard of Honnecourt. Historical sources provide three key dates : 1190 (start of construction), 1215 (entry into the new church), 1235 (date of the dedication). From the nineteenth century until now, it was considered that the foundations were thrown in 1190 and that the construction started in the west side of the church. In 1216, the nave would have been completed and the choir built between 1216 and 1235. The consultation of the historical sources and the examination of the historiographic record make it possible to rectify the chronology of the site. In fact, the construction certainly went from east to west. The choir reproduced in 1216 or shortly before by Villard of Honnecourt presents the building as it then appeared, with the eastern part of the building totally completed.
Full text
Article (Preprint) (165 Kb) - document accessible for UNIGE members only Limited access to UNIGE
Structures
Citation
(ISO format)
TERRIER ALIFERIS, Laurence. La datation du choeur de l'église de Vaucelles reproduit en plan par Villard de Honnecourt. Submitted to: Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte, 2017. https://archive-ouverte.unige.ch/unige:96946

53 hits

2 downloads

Update

Deposited on : 2017-09-22

Export document
Format :
Citation style :