en
Scientific article
Open access
English

Should antibiotic prophylaxis before orthopedic implant surgery depend on the duration of pre-surgical hospital stay?

Publication date2018
Abstract

Background: Prolonged hospital stay before surgery is a risk for colonization with antibiotic-resistant microorganisms and possible antibiotic-resistant surgical site infections (SSI), which lacks acknowledgement in international guidelines for perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis. Method: Retrospective cohort study focusing on prophylaxis-resistant SSI in adult orthopedic implant patients; with emphasis on length of hospital stay prior to the index surgery. Results: We enrolled 611 cases of SSI (median age, 65 years; 241 females and 161 immune-suppressed) in four large implant groups: arthroplasties (n = 309), plates (n = 127), spondylodeses (n = 31), and nails (n = 46). The causative pathogen was resistant to the perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis regimen in 307 cases (307/611; 50%), but the length of pre-surgical hospitalization did not influence the incidences of prophylaxis-resistant SSIs. These incidences were (107/211;51%) for the admission day, (170/345;49%) within 10 days of delay, (19/35;54%) between 10 and 20 days, and (11/20; 55%) beyond 20 days of hospital stay before surgery. The corresponding incidences of methicillin-resistant staphylococci were 13%, 14%, 17%, and 5%, respectively. In adjusted group comparisons, the length of prior hospital stay was equally unrelated to future prophylaxis-resistant SSI (odds ratio 1.0, 95% confidence interval 0.99-1.01). Conclusions: In our retrospective cohort of orthopedic implant SSI, the length of pre-surgical hospital stay was unrelated to the incidence of prophylaxis-resistant pathogens.

Keywords
  • Implant orthopedic surgery
  • Length of hospital stay
  • Perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis
  • Surgical site infections
Citation (ISO format)
DAVAT, Marie et al. Should antibiotic prophylaxis before orthopedic implant surgery depend on the duration of pre-surgical hospital stay? In: Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control, 2018, vol. 7, p. 131. doi: 10.1186/s13756-018-0421-2
Main files (1)
Article (Published version)
Identifiers
ISSN of the journal2047-2994
368views
142downloads

Technical informations

Creation02/14/2019 1:35:00 PM
First validation02/14/2019 1:35:00 PM
Update time03/15/2023 3:59:35 PM
Status update03/15/2023 3:59:35 PM
Last indexation05/03/2024 7:45:31 AM
All rights reserved by Archive ouverte UNIGE and the University of GenevaunigeBlack